Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music > Brahms Listening Group

Notices

Brahms Listening Group Click here to visit this social group

Brahms Guides--I hope you like

Old 13-05-09, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmsGuides View Post
Nah, I'll be a "regular."
Excellent news.
Old 13-05-09, 08:30 PM
Brightcecilian

BrahmsGuides will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input, Mischa!

Some of the later published guides do have the time indices and measure numbers in bold. I'm getting around to revising the others.

What you've done with the score excerpts makes a lot of sense. It seems you got these from the Lübeck site. How did you snip the excerpts to make the files? (I assume they are jpeg images). This would also help greatly with the readability issues. It would be difficult with orchestral works, though.

I have long considered adding links to the scores. I will at least do that in the near term, and consider adding the musical examples, as well, but that would have to wait. The entire score, as you have done with the violin sonata example below, would help quite a bit but as I said, would be problematic for the larger works.

But please do let me know how you snipped the excerpts from the Lübeck scores.
Old 14-05-09, 07:01 AM

Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold

Easy:

1) Paste a screen into Paint (Ctrl+V), push it a bit until the required part can be cut out. Then cut the part you want to extract (mark with the button), and copy it via extract&paste into a new picture.

2) Now set the area of your picture: if it's larger, scroll to the bottom right site and click on the area outside of your picture. Change the area by use of the tiny little blue dots.

3) Save it as file and change its size (menu\image\change size). Save it again.

That's it.

Oh yes, inserting approriate snippets to let's say a Brahms symphony would be a Sisyphus' job, but maybe some kernel themes would be very helpful to display his work.

Have you ever considered using a Content Management System for your editing? - with a little bit effort you can create a nice design and the most convenient surroundings for you to enlarge your site. If you have an hour free next, download Joomla (joomla.org) and test a bit - wonderful tool, you won't need any technical background to work with it and you can concentrate on your work.

Looking forward to read more on your site!
Old 14-05-09, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
Paint
Paint's a great programme. Usually when Microsoft invent something they can't leave it alone, and keep adding features until it becomes bloated, slow, over-complex and in the end unusable. But for some reason Paint's still beautifully simple.
Old 14-05-09, 07:51 AM

Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
Paint's a great programme. Usually when Microsoft invent something they can't leave it alone, and keep adding features until it becomes bloated, slow, over-complex and in the end unusable. But for some reason Paint's still beautifully simple.
I think the secret is they don't think anyone uses it. I used to draw all my online cartoons in paint.