Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > It's not classical music but we like it > Brightcecilia Arts

Notices

Brightcecilia Arts Literature, philosophy, dance, ballet, film, painting, drawing, sculpture, architecture, printmaking, computer art, antiques, fashion -- discuss the non-music arts here

What are you reading at the moment?

Old 17-01-12, 02:12 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Hopes and Prospects in an excellent book. I highly recommend it.

I'm now on chapter six of this:

Old 18-01-12, 01:23 AM

stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold
Default Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin

Name:  516o8J5nOdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  19.4 KB

A touching book, by the author of the great book 'The Master'.
Old 18-01-12, 11:53 PM

Green Knight will become famous soon enough

Bernard Malamud--The Assistant
Old 01-02-12, 10:28 AM

stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold
Default Montaigne

Name:  montaigne1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  17.7 KB

The most human and curious of writers, deeply enjoyable.

Last edited by stephen w; 01-02-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: tinkering
Old 13-02-12, 06:17 PM

Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of
Default Funferall

I've decided to give Finnegans Wake another shot, so that I can fulfill my life's dream of having read Joyce's most challenging and radical work. I have the indispensable annotation book by Roland McHugh, but Joyce's Kaleidoscope focuses on the themes and a program for tackling the Wake.

Philip Kitcher is a philosopher who writes about scientific and cultural subjects. Long ago, I read his Abusing Science, a terrific book describing the Creationist parody of scientific inquiry. He's so good at explaining complex matters without dumbing them down that I'm sure he'll be a good guide to FW.
Old 13-02-12, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang

As a Guardian review says:

Quote:
23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism assaults economic orthodoxy... Dip into this witty, iconoclastic and uncommonly commonsensical guide to the follies of economics, and, among many other things, you will learn that free market policies rarely make poor countries richer; global companies without national roots belong in the realm of myth; the US does not have the highest living standards in the world; the washing machine changed the world more than the internet; more education does not of itself make countries richer; financial markets need to become less, not more efficient; and perhaps most shocking to Chang's colleagues good economic policy does not require good economists.
Ha-Joon Chang is an interesting man and no raving Marxist:

Quote:
Chang may be our best critic of capitalism, but he is far from being any kind of anti-capitalist. He recognises the failings of centrally planned economies, and rightly describes capitalism as "the worst economic system except for all the others". At the same time he is confident that capitalism can be reformed to prevent crises like the one we have just experienced recurring. Making markets more transparent is not enough. "If we are really serious about preventing another crisis like the 2008 meltdown," Chang writes, "we should simply ban complex financial instruments, unless they can be unambiguously shown to benefit society in the long run." He is aware that he risks sounding extreme, but argues that the ban he proposes is no different from those that have been enforced on other dangerous products. "This is what we do all the time with other products drugs, cars, electrical products and many others."
Ha-Joon Chang
Old 14-02-12, 12:50 AM

Tarantella is a glorious beacon of light Tarantella is a glorious beacon of light Tarantella is a glorious beacon of light Tarantella is a glorious beacon of light Tarantella is a glorious beacon of light

Here's another Marxist (and I'm certainly not one!):

Christopher Lasch, "The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations".

Wow, this is a devastating critique of not just America but, by now (written in 1979), the west in toto - thanks to American hegemony.

Everything I'd always thought about the way life is going, the disintegration of the family, the rise of the god of materialism, new-age self-help gurus (Dr. Phil) - it's all here. Depressing. Only criticism: these books never offer a solution.

But, to me, the society goes this way when religion is replaced by demagoguery, the cult of the individual and materialism. When I shuffle off this mortal coil I'll be leaving nothing but music and my family!! I agree with a friend of my father who said "the world is getting fuller and fuller of people I like less and less".

A great thinker (name not remembered) once said, "Mankind goes either steeply up or steeply down". No prizes for guessing the direction right now.

Last edited by Tarantella; 14-02-12 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Robert Ardrey?
Old 01-03-12, 12:51 AM

John Steinbeck--The Grapes Of Wrath and Of Mice And Men
Old 04-03-12, 02:38 AM

James Carroll--House of War
Old 27-03-12, 12:49 AM

H.G. Wells--Complete Short Story Omnibus