Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Modern Music

Notices

Modern Music Debussy, Elgar, Cage, Stockhausen, Glass, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Webern, Finzi, Shostakovich, Elliott Carter, Messiaen, Lutoslawski...

Compositions

Old 22-03-12, 07:12 PM

Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by favi85 View Post
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...Q3RRWUlYRHRVag

Here is the score.

The reason it is scored like this was for a competition.

what is interesting about this music, is that while i composed it, I gave great liberty to the performers to interpret.

So it was semi-improvised, then transcribed.

this music also originated in my mind as an audio mural. so while it sounds finished now, i envisioned releasing it to the world for others to add to it.
hello

well...how would you like to proceed? the score you posted looks like a basic sketch. i hope that isn't insulting. but the kind of orchestration i was envisioning was far more detailed to try and emulate the sonic space created in the studio version.

do you want me to get detailed?

s
Old 23-03-12, 03:18 AM
Brightcecilian

favi85 is on a distinguished road
Default sure!

hit me with all you've got.

;D
Old 23-03-12, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

NB Scott wrote this a while back: Advice to a Young Composer.
Old 23-03-12, 04:23 PM
Brightcecilian

Default some great advice

thanks philidor

good food for thought
Old 23-03-12, 11:01 PM

Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of

Quote:
hit me with all you've got.

;D
ok.

can you resend - i didn't save it, and the link is not working any longer

+ might take a bit of time for me to give the reply, as i have 3 large shows over the next 5 days.

s
Old 24-03-12, 12:50 AM
Brightcecilian

Default score up

Here you go:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...YTJUWUJ4Tk1UQw
Old 24-03-12, 06:04 AM

nikolas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,

I'm new here, but I thought I'd offer some insights...

For the music (I'm talking about the one with the soprano and piano sounds/playing). I think that this is a very interesting work. I like the recording qualities (as much as I can hear through the laptop speakers, since I'm away from my studio), and it works quite well!

My question to you (and to everyone who works in such 'electronic' pieces): This piece/recording is aimed for a live performance? If so the electronic sounding parts are going to be performed by live electronics, or a CD (ipod/mp3/whatever) playback? Because the sounds do originate from the inside of the piano, but the have been tempered electronically, right?

Since you've made a score and re-did it (I only took a look at the later example, named revision5.PDF), I would guess that you want it performed live. If so, then you should notate something about the electronic parts. Some reference for the performers to know what's going on.

The score is still very rough, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what you're using, but firstly it suffers from some resolution issues (or the conversion to PDF turned it this way?). The notation is a tad big for my taste, although I can see the appeal... But it still looks rather sloppy... I hope I'm not being harsh here. Just trying to make some discussion.
Old 24-03-12, 04:24 PM
Brightcecilian

Default you're right

Nikolas,

Thank you. You are right; the score is very restricted. The competition I entered allowed only a number of performers. When me and my friend Aaron sat down to do an instrument list we came up with at least 20 instruments to be involved [mostly percussion].

My aim was to have it performed with this instrument set, however, it would be possible to do it with a laptop. Using a laptop I think would be more practical, because there is room for spontaneous moments. Instead of performing a set recording, the laptop could also put electronic instruments that sound at the will of the performer.

You are also right about the score. This was before I new how to ctrl m measures in finale.

Thank you again for your thoughts.
Old 25-03-12, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
Hi,

I'm new here, but I thought I'd offer some insights...

For the music (I'm talking about the one with the soprano and piano sounds/playing). I think that this is a very interesting work. I like the recording qualities (as much as I can hear through the laptop speakers, since I'm away from my studio), and it works quite well!

My question to you (and to everyone who works in such 'electronic' pieces): This piece/recording is aimed for a live performance? If so the electronic sounding parts are going to be performed by live electronics, or a CD (ipod/mp3/whatever) playback? Because the sounds do originate from the inside of the piano, but the have been tempered electronically, right?

Since you've made a score and re-did it (I only took a look at the later example, named revision5.PDF), I would guess that you want it performed live. If so, then you should notate something about the electronic parts. Some reference for the performers to know what's going on.

The score is still very rough, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what you're using, but firstly it suffers from some resolution issues (or the conversion to PDF turned it this way?). The notation is a tad big for my taste, although I can see the appeal... But it still looks rather sloppy... I hope I'm not being harsh here. Just trying to make some discussion.
Very solid comments.

I really like your website, and the first piano piece especially is very lovely Congratulations.

Welcome to BC, Nikolas! (also the name of my 2nd of 2 boys)

Favi85, as I said, I'm real busy for the next few days..well, week. It will be at least that long before I reply to the score.

Scott
Old 25-03-12, 04:48 AM
Brightcecilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Good View Post
Very solid comments.

I really like your website, and the first piano piece especially is very lovely Congratulations.

Welcome to BC, Nikolas! (also the name of my 2nd of 2 boys)

Favi85, as I said, I'm real busy for the next few days..well, week. It will be at least that long before I reply to the score.

Scott
I agree with Scott Good. Very nice piano piece.

Scott, there is no hurry. But I am anxious to hear your words.