Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music

Notices

Romantic Music Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Wagner, Verdi, Franck, Bruckner, Smetana, Brahms, Saint-Saëns...

Me Playing Prelude Op. 28 No. 15 (Raindrops)

Old 10-04-12, 04:30 PM

timothyvanwing is on a distinguished road
Default Me Playing Prelude Op. 28 No. 15 (Raindrops)

Here is a video of me playing Chopin's "Raindrops". Critiques welcomed. Let me know what you think:

Old 10-04-12, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Love it (and welcome ). This isn't my period of music, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I think your phrasing could use more rubato. There are many occasions, at the end of phrases, where you just sail on through, as if there's a metronome ticking, rather than

end of phrase -->> slow down
start of new phrase -->> speed up again

Of course, rubato is strong medicine and it's easy to use too much of it, leaving a sickly impression. But maybe a bit more....

Here's Argerich. Typically, she's all over the shop in terms of tempo movements within phrases and between phrases! But her constant wash of rubato gets the piece by the throat, producing high drama. Just a thought...

Thanks for posting your performance -- beautiful.