Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music > Mahler Listening Group

Notices

Mahler Listening Group Click here to visit this social group and discuss any aspect of Mahler's music

100 Years Ago...

Old 19-11-08, 04:45 PM

Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future
Default 100 Years Ago...

Mahler began work on Das Lied von der Erde!

I just felt like sharing... Is it really the last "symphony"?

Here's Das Trinklied von Jammer der Erde
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eKREpObaU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eKREpObaU[/ame]

Wunderlich.
Old 19-11-08, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

I like the Abschied best. x 9999,000
Old 19-11-08, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despina41 View Post
Mahler began work on Das Lied von der Erde!

I just felt like sharing... Is it really the last "symphony"?

Here's Das Trinklied von Jammer der Erde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eKREpObaU

Wunderlich.
It's the last complete one, isn't it? Though he didn't call it a symphony because he thought the ninth would finish him off. And in true Mahler fashion, his spooky premonition came true.
Old 19-11-08, 05:41 PM

Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
It's the last complete one, isn't it? Though he didn't call it a symphony because he thought the ninth would finish him off. And in true Mahler fashion, his spooky premonition came true.
What better way to get around the symphony problem than by writing a gigantic symphonic song cycle? woo!

Abschied is amazing, but I have to be in the right mood for that. It's sad.
Old 20-11-08, 01:32 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

I love Das Lied von der Erde. The addition of oriental aspects to it refreshes what could have become bloated and banal after the eighth symphony (you can hear this also in the ninth). Like Flo, my favourite is Der Abshied, which is of course incredibly sad (never something to deter me ) but ultimately (and in great contrast to the end of the ninth) a radiant, transcended peroration is achieved (the afterlife?)