Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > It's not classical music but we like it > Totally Off-Topic

Notices

Totally Off-Topic If it's not classical music, that's fine. Discuss anything you like in Brightcecilia's lively general forum

In Praise of... Patrick Moore

Old 07-01-09, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of
Default In Praise of... Patrick Moore

He's very old now, and rather fat, and in the past has behaved like a terrible old fascist, but I think he's great.

Quote:
In the Second World War Moore lied about his age in order to join the RAF and from 1940 until 1945 he served as a navigator in RAF Bomber Command, reaching the rank of Flight Lieutenant, having received his flight training in Canada where he met Albert Einstein and Orville Wright whilst on leave in New York. The war had a significant influence on his life: his only known romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse, was killed by a bomb which fell on her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked, somewhat poignantly, that he never married because "There was no one else for me... second best is no good for me...I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be."

Wiki

Code:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LxU04PZVX2g
(He's also a composer with perfect pitch, an accomplished xylophone player and lived with his mother until she died and now lives with his cat)

Name:  patrick moore1.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  patrick_moore3.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  patrick moore.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  22.5 KB
Old 07-01-09, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

He is a dear, dear old stick, whatever his (alleged) politics. One of our greatest national treasures and delightfully eccentric.

It's amazing he's still with us, really. He's not exactly very fit.
Old 08-01-09, 06:18 AM

Alpha Centauri has a spectacular aura about Alpha Centauri has a spectacular aura about

Is he actually any good as an astronomer?
Old 08-01-09, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner Torheit View Post
Is he actually any good as an astronomer?

He’s a lunar expert:

Quote:
It was revealed in a TV programme that when the Russians wanted accurate information on the Moon over a number of years, they first went to America then other countries for the information but could not obtain such information. Patrick Moore was then suggested as a source of the data and on visiting him at this dwelling, they were invited in. Moore left them and returned with a pile of exercise books with all the necessary information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore
Plus:

Quote:
Sir Patrick was always very close to his mother and she was a talented artist who lived with him at his Selsey home which is still colourfully decorated with many paintings of "bogeys", little friendly aliens, which she regularly produced and were sent out annually as Patrick's Christmas cards.
His politics is a mix: a lunatic on Europe, immigration and nationalism (long-term friend of Norris McWhirter) yet anti-bloodsports, anti-war and not a Bushite:

Quote:
Mr. Bush’s venture into Iraq could have instead paid for the entire space program for quite a few years... I think Bush is certifiable. He’s a danger. If we are not careful he’ll plunge the world into a Third World War. He’s power-drunk you see. If he goes for Iran or North Korea, big trouble! What’s the difference between Robert Mugabe and Saddam Hussein? Mugabe doesn’t produce oil!

http://www.b3ta.com/interview/patrickmoore/
Old 10-01-09, 04:10 PM
Banned

Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice

I think that the BBC missed a trick in not making Patrick Moore the next Dr Who, and getting a 26-year-old pretty-boy instead (in conformity with the "gay" makeover the programme has recently received at the hands of its new writer, Russell T. Davies (of "Queer As Folk" fame)).

Incidentally, I have never heard Moore's opinions on immigration, but I would imagine them to be traditional small "c" conservative, i.e. those shared by a clear majority of the indigenous population (and, coincidentally, a growing proportion of longer-settled immigrants), rather than "lunatic". I would assume that Moore thinks that there has been too much immigration too rapidly, and that the results have been culturally and socially injurious. I would imagine also that he fears that Europe is shaping up into an unaccountable superstate. If this makes him a lunatic, then it makes me and many others lunatics too.

I realise that this is principally a classical music discussion forum, and I am not interested in turning it into one that is principally concerned with social and political issues (for which there are dedicated sites). I do think, however, that nobody should be intimidated into silence by thinking that the only acceptable opinions here are those dictated by the Guardian or the Independent if one wishes to avoid stigmatising labels such as "fascist" or "lunatic".
Old 10-01-09, 05:18 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilperich View Post
Incidentally, I have never heard Moore's opinions on immigration, but I would imagine them to be traditional small "c" conservative, i.e. those shared by a clear majority of the indigenous population (and, coincidentally, a growing proportion of longer-settled immigrants),
You mean the longer-settled immigrants who probably wouldn't have been here if UKIP et al. had had their way in the first place?
Old 10-01-09, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think that the BBC missed a trick in not making Patrick Moore the next Dr Who, and getting a 26-year-old pretty-boy instead (in conformity with the "gay" makeover the programme has recently received at the hands of its new writer, Russell T. Davies (of "Queer As Folk" fame)).

Quote:
Incidentally, I have never heard Moore's opinions on immigration, but I would imagine them to be traditional small "c" conservative
He's further to the right than that: a UKIP and a Freedom Party member - source.

Quote:
nobody should be intimidated into silence by thinking that the only acceptable opinions here are those dictated by the Guardian or the Independent if one wishes to avoid stigmatising labels such as "fascist" or "lunatic".
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-01-09, 06:58 PM

Alpha Centauri has a spectacular aura about Alpha Centauri has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
He's further to the right than that: a UKIP and a Freedom Party member
Ho-hum I hope that when he's hospitalised he stands by his "principles" and refuses to be treated by anyone who can't trace their English heritage back to the Battle of Agincourt??

My mum is in the UKIP, I am deeply ashamed to admit
Old 10-01-09, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Background on the Freedom Party:

So they're odd on genetics, defining ancient Britons as “Anglo-Celtic-Roman-Saxon-Norman”. They forgot the Vikings and the Spanish. A DNA study done c. 2 years ago showed big clusters of pre-Roman Iberian genes among the British population. Are descendants of these people not “completely British”?

Quote:
Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study finds

Don't tell the locals, but the hordes of British holidaymakers who visited Spain this summer were, in fact, returning to their ancestral home.

A team from Oxford University has discovered that the Celts, Britain's indigenous people, are descended from a tribe of Iberian fishermen who crossed the Bay of Biscay 6,000 years ago. DNA analysis reveals they have an almost identical genetic "fingerprint" to the inhabitants of coastal regions of Spain, whose own ancestors migrated north between 4,000 and 5,000BC.

Source

Chilperich: that’s what I meant by “lunatic” and “fascist” but you’re right, I should have used less emotive words. I apologise. But dear old Moore did get himself mixed up in unsavory political company. I reckon he’s politically naive and didn’t realise the implications. He's a stargazer not a politician (thank God).
Old 14-01-09, 01:14 AM
Banned

Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner Torheit View Post
Ho-hum I hope that when he's hospitalised he stands by his "principles" and refuses to be treated by anyone who can't trace their English heritage back to the Battle of Agincourt.
That's not exactly a choice he has any more, is it? (Why Agincourt, by the way? Surely the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons in the fifth century AD, or the Norman Conquest of 1066 would be less arbitrary?)