Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > Welcome, Feedback & Technology > Feedback, Computing, Technology & the Internet

Notices

Feedback, Computing, Technology & the Internet Comments & questions about Brightcecilia -- social networking, uploading MP3s, posting events in the calendar, technical problems, discussion about new technology

A sub forum about Art????

Old 26-03-08, 03:56 PM

The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold
Default A sub forum about Art????

Would you consider such a thing? Would there be a demand?
Painting, illustration, sculpture.

Historical, and a bit of modern I suppose.

Just a thought?
Old 26-03-08, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

That's a brilliant idea. One thing I'm finding fascinating about this forum, and I suspect it's going to become more pronounced as time goes on, are historical connections being made between music, the other arts, culture/ideology/philosophy and politics. I don't see how any can be understood without the others.

I'll be interested to know what Flo thinks. One thing we've been trying to do is keep the front page short. I hate new forums with yard-long front pages containing a great list of empty forums. But a sub-forum wouldn't show so that's fine, and I suspect it would get lively very quickly.

Please keep suggestions coming!!
Old 26-03-08, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

As long as it's not my fault if

1) It's a miserable failure.

2) People don't expect me to actually know anything about art. My (alleged) art history degree was postmodern in the extreme. In other words, it avoided art history altogether in favour of cultural studies (Hall), feminist theory (Kristeva, Irigaray), 'advertising and representation in the 20th century' (Judith Williamson ahoy), art philosophy (at least this was Kant and Hulme) and even tribal and pre-Columbian art (Levi-Strauss, palm wine and long pigs).
Old 26-03-08, 05:04 PM

The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold The Sparrow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
As long as it's not my fault if

1) It's a miserable failure.

2) People don't expect me to actually know anything about art. My (alleged) art history degree was postmodern in the extreme. In other words, it avoided art history altogether in favour of cultural studies (Hall), feminist theory (Kristeva, Irigaray), 'advertising and representation in the 20th century' (Judith Williamson ahoy), art philosophy (at least this was Kant and Hulme) and even tribal and pre-Columbian art (Levi-Strauss, palm wine and long pigs).
If failure means no one uses it etc, then oh well, thats life. in 6 months you delete it and we all pretend it never happened.

By the way, I aint no expert either, I just know what I like (as they say)
Medieval marginal illustrations and illuminated text.
19th century illustrations/engravings, pen and ink drawings.
19th century american landscapes, seascapes and folk art.
Very early photography

Oooops, better save all that for the possible sub-forum
Old 26-03-08, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

I'm tempted just to insert a generalised "other arts" forum between "Outside the Western tradition" and "Feedback", giving:

Quote:
Outside the Western tradition
Asian, African, Aborigine, Native American...

Other Arts
Painting, sculpture, literature, philosophy...

Feedback
Comments, questions, criticism...
That would lengthen the front page slightly, take material from the Sound Hole, and might have to be split later should some serious critical theory/ideology wonks get going, but that's no problem. Spotty, Flo, what d'you think?
Old 26-03-08, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I'm tempted just to insert a generalised "other arts" forum between "Outside the Western tradition" and "Feedback", giving:

That would lengthen the front page slightly, take material from the Sound Hole, and might have to be split later should some serious critical theory/ideology wonks get going, but that's no problem. Spotty, Flo, what d'you think?
I like it. But I'm just a newbie here, so I shouldn't have too much say.
(good idea including the literature there as well)
Old 26-03-08, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty View Post
But I'm just a newbie here, so I shouldn't have too much say.
Please don't say that. It's a new forum so we're all in the same boat. Anyway, where good ideas are concerned I've no pride and am a total tart.

Old 26-03-08, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I'll just wait for Flo. If she's happy, and no one else jumps up and down with rage at the idea, I'll set it up.
Old 26-03-08, 06:06 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

The philosophy of music interests me.

I know that some aestheticians have been more or less deaf to music (i.e. Kant; and what a shame! Imagine what insights he could have made) and some valued it greatly (Schopenhauer, Adorno) but I'd love to learn more about such things.
Old 26-03-08, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleide View Post
The philosophy of music interests me.

I know that some aestheticians have been more or less deaf to music (i.e. Kant; and what a shame! Imagine what insights he could have made) and some valued it greatly (Schopenhauer, Adorno) but I'd love to learn more about such things.
Me too. I'm also interested in the neurophysiology. I've played in groups in Alzheimer’s wards in hospitals and have seen the effect of music on some patents. Music memories are often the last thing ravaged by Alzheimer’s. They won't remember their husband's face but will get up and dance if you play a song played at their wedding. So, arguably, of all the arts music goes deepest.