Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music > Schubert Listening Group

Notices

Schubert Listening Group Click here to visit this social group & discuss any aspect of Schubert's music

Schubert piano sonatas

Old 23-03-09, 08:35 PM

stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold
Default Schubert piano sonatas

I read a review in the Guardian today comparing different recordings of Schubert piano sonatas: the reviewer came down for Rudolf Serkin in a big way. If I'm buying Schubert piano sonatas, do folk agree with this? Is there a pianist anyone prefers to Serkin for Schubert?
Old 23-03-09, 09:01 PM

Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future Despina41 has a brilliant future

I like that this is subtitled ("for those who do not speak Gould's English")

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iUdM5k5Hc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iUdM5k5Hc[/ame]

LOOK!!

Quote:
UPDATE re: the voice in this clip -- it turns out that this was taken from a Russian TV program, in which Gould originally spoke in English but was later overdubbed in Russian. The original English audio was lost, and it had to be re-overdubbed in English, using the text of Gould's comments (which is stored at the National Library of Canada). So while the voice is not Gould's, the comments are.
Apparently it's a REAL English accent!?? UGH. You guys can keep that on your island.
Old 24-03-09, 02:16 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Hi Stephen,
I bought the CD that I'll post below about a year and a half or so ago after hearing good things about Serkin's Schubert also. At the time these were selling for a premium on Amazon (US), and I thought they were a bit too pricey so I eventually ended up getting the Kempff boxed set.

Relistening to the Serkin as I'm typing this I'd give the edge to Serkin. The sound is outstanding and the playing is crisp and sharp. For what you can get the Serkin now, I'd go with the Serkin.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he is the "end all" of Schubert Sonata interpretations (Fanfare doesn't haven't any reviews of his Schubert Sonatas at all) but he's awfully good.

Hope this helps.

Name:  1286431378a0c27a7a8c7110_L.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  26.2 KB
Old 24-03-09, 01:12 PM

micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of

Last edited by micrologus; 25-03-09 at 09:43 AM.
Old 24-03-09, 01:28 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despina41 View Post
Apparently it's a REAL English accent!?? UGH. You guys can keep that on your island.
Englishman imitating the voice of a person who pretends to be English =
Old 24-03-09, 07:19 PM

stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold stephen w is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despina41 View Post
Well I couldnt agree more. . . but what is an English accent these days?. . . here's 4 of 'em, plus a Scots thrown in for good measure. . .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oK_EuuQY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oK_EuuQY[/ame]
Old 24-03-09, 08:03 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wainman View Post
Well I couldnt agree more. . . but what is an English accent these days?. . . here's 4 of 'em, plus a Scots thrown in for good measure. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oK_EuuQY
OT here, but nevermind:

[ame="http://www.brightcecilia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351"]Accents - Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums[/ame]
Old 24-03-09, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchubertGuy View Post
Hi Stephen,
For what you can get the Serkin now, I'd go with the Serkin.

he's awfully good.

Hope this helps.

Attachment 3035
Thankyou - Ive ordered this one, also D 960, also by Serkin, same series it looks like. Looking forward to them!
Old 24-03-09, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrologus View Post
I never heard about Serkin

I have the Idil Biret and I can tell you Biret is realy great!
Thanks - I looked through the 114 recordings on Amazon by Biret but couldnt find Schubert. Gone for the Serkin for the present.
Old 24-03-09, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleide View Post
Love it - comes as a package - the white socks - length of trousers - colour of trousers - body language- voice

Thanks - I missed this thread - very good. I enjoyed the racism test..