Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > It's not classical music but we like it > World Music Forum

Notices

World Music Forum Asian, African, Aborigine & Native American music -- discuss traditional indigenous music from around the world

Shakti - Indo-Jazz fusion

Old 16-05-09, 07:43 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of
Default Shakti - Indo-Jazz fusion

... And Remember Shakti. Since Micrologus has expressed an interest, I thought I'd post some clips of maybe the greatest example of Indo-Jazz fusion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O127hEVA9G0&feature=related"]YouTube - Shakti - Joy (Montreux, 1976)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCH70FODJA"]YouTube - John Mclaughlin: Remember Shakti: Ma No Pa[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBd-rXsFOhQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Shakti India John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussein. Shankar,Vikku[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzovMu-2LY&feature=related"]YouTube - John Mclaughlin SHAKTI le danse du bonheur[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2uL8lk2lM&feature=related"]YouTube - John McLaughlin and Shakti[/ame]

And whilst at it I'll take the advantage of posting up another example of Indo-Jazz fusion, in my opinion just as great, but unfortunately only short-lived:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax02a5q-hNE&feature=related"]YouTube - Shawn Lane - Savitri[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5sEvC0SpY"]YouTube - Aga Of The Ladies Excerpt (Shawn Lane)[/ame]
Old 16-05-09, 07:52 PM
Banned

Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice

I'm not really a fan of "World Music" on the grounds that it's a daft label. I know that Holst wrote The Planets and Mozart a "Jupiter" Symphony, but where the hell do they think the rest of the stuff comes from? Alpha Centauri? The Asteroid Belt? The Magellanic Clouds?

That said, I've always been keen on Shakti, not least because I'm a big John McLaughlin fan. I'm also a big fan of John Mayer's Indo-Jazz Fusions, and especially love the first three albums. (Trivia note: John McLaughlin's first Mahavishnu bassist, Rick Laird, plays on the first of these, the Indo-Jazz Suite, even though the CD reissue erroneously credits Coleridge Goode (who played on its successors).)
Old 16-05-09, 07:57 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilperich View Post
I'm not really a fan of "World Music" on the grounds that it's a daft label.
Maybe non-Western music would be better?
Old 16-05-09, 08:08 PM

micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of

I can hardly call this 'Worldmusic'

Just call it by it's name: Indian Jazz
Old 16-05-09, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrologus View Post
I can hardly call this 'Worldmusic'

Just call it by it's name: Indian Jazz
You mean I shouldn't have posted it in this section?
Old 16-05-09, 08:22 PM

micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of micrologus has much to be proud of

Yes! I would have put it under Jazz
Old 16-05-09, 08:30 PM

I wouldn't consider the sanitized version of Bulgarian music, 'Les Voix Bulgares', with all the spice taken out of it to make it accessible to western audiences and suitable for TV appearances, 'world music'.

The clips I posted have just as much, if not more, in common with Indian music as Jazz.
Old 16-05-09, 08:38 PM

Sanitized or not, 'Les voix Bulgares' are singing traditional Bulgarian songs
Old 16-05-09, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrologus View Post
Sanitized or not, the 'Bulgarian Voices' are singing traditional Bulgarian songs
The clips I posted feature uncorrupted Indian classical musicians.

Most the clips are based on traditional ragas. For example, 'Ma No Pa', the second video, is based on Abhogi (if I'm not mistaken).
Old 16-05-09, 09:16 PM
Banned

Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice Chilperich is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleide View Post
Maybe non-Western music would be better?
It's certainly an improvement, although I've seen CDs by Jacques Brel and Serge Gainsbourg filed in the "World Music" sections of big record shops in London!