Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > The Classical Music Sound Hole

Notices

The Classical Music Sound Hole Classical music discussion on any subject which falls outside the categories below

Greenwich International Early Music Festival and Exhibition 2009

Old 22-08-09, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of
Default Greenwich International Early Music Festival and Exhibition 2009

Name:  greenwich-naval-college.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  23.9 KB

The programme for this year's Greenwich festival is out - the biggest early music festival in the world. I went last year and it's fantastic. If travelling from central London you can arrive and depart by boat:

More pics
Diary of events
Old 16-11-09, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Flo and I went to this yesterday - absolutely fantastic. Festival review here:

Quote:
There was the usual atmosphere of friendly fanaticism unique to early music shows (rivalled only by gatherings of Wagner fans). Wherever you looked someone was blowing, scraping, plucking, honking, parping, or in deep conversation about the efficacy of catgut violin strings.
Quote:
Most of all the festival was about music as active, living, magical: to be done with family and friends, not just consumed, passively, in a concert hall. Room for both, of course, but early music people are special.
Greenwich Early Music Festival 2009

Sound files (I wish I'd recorded more)

Cafe:

Viol consort (slightly out of tune but so what? )

Old 16-11-09, 08:32 PM

periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold

Phili !!!

The pictures are wonderful !!!! .... i just wish i was there !!!!

I'm sure i won't be able to resist leaving without having purchased (atleast) a Baroque bow !!!

To Hell with credit card debt !!!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...72_5894502.jpg
Old 16-11-09, 08:46 PM

periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold

Just finished listening to the sound files !!!

Oh !!! How i wish !!! Is there a way to move there ?

....Music making live and alive !!!

Old 16-11-09, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Glad you like them! I snapped away like a lunatic... one of my favourites... it looks like a toilet waste pipe!

Name:  PIC_0075.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  60.7 KB
Old 16-11-09, 09:12 PM

is that a ?contra bass recorder ? ... errrr

it's huge !!!

Old 16-11-09, 09:25 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure. Maybe one down from the bass? A greatbass or (as you say) a contrabass? It looks about twice the height of the tenors in the background...

Name:  sub-contrabass-tuba.jpg
Views: 11918
Size:  52.1 KB
a sub-contrabass tuba
Old 16-11-09, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

It really was wonderful, though exhausting, as we talked to all the exhibitors (or, rather, Philidor talked to them and I stood there nodding).

Hearing what anyone was saying above all that racket(t) was hard work in itself. I was totally exhausted at the end.

I love the way the same people are always in the same place every year. It's like a time machine. Step into the Painted Hall and you are in November 2008.... 2007... and for veterans, many years before that, I'm sure. It feels like you just stepped out of the room and back in again, but exactly a year has passed.

The bagpipe chap was great - he doesn't hold with this newfangled intenet malarkey, and who can blame him?
Old 16-11-09, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by periodinstrumentfan View Post
Phili !!!

The pictures are wonderful !!!! .... i just wish i was there !!!!

I'm sure i won't be able to resist leaving without having purchased (atleast) a Baroque bow !!!

To Hell with credit card debt !!!
Mr Affourtit sent his personal regards.
Old 16-11-09, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
we talked to all the exhibitors (or, rather, Philidor talked to them and I stood there nodding).
Not true. Several times I was going 'Blah blah Brightcecilia blah blah' then you arrived, their faces lit up, and I found myself talking to a crumhorn.