Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music

Notices

Romantic Music Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Wagner, Verdi, Franck, Bruckner, Smetana, Brahms, Saint-Saëns...

Mahler: Where Do I Start?

Old 24-08-08, 01:56 PM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Philidor, What's your favorite so far?

The only one of M5 that I have is Walter and I'm planning on getting a newer version before we get there in the listening group.
Old 24-08-08, 02:12 PM
BrCec's Humble Dilettante

Chi_town/Philly will become famous soon enough Chi_town/Philly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
I've been listening to various versions - including Monterrey and Chicago - and none get that shrill, wild, Spanish/South American trumpet sound I'm after...
Huh?!

A central-European composer writes a symphony that opens with a trumpet fanfare directly evocative of an Austrian military call-- with continued outbursts against a background of funereal impetus... and you're looking for a "Spanish/South American trumpet sound?"

Sag' es, sag' es uns!..._______WHY?:sad2:
Old 25-08-08, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_town/Philly View Post
WHY?:sad2:
Sheer perversity.
Old 25-08-08, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_town/Philly View Post
Huh?!
You have un problema with that Gringo?

Name:  864364024_bfc00e01b5.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  67.6 KB

You're right of course. It's daft but no one I've heard yet gets that shrill, self-confident, in your face, sound which I believe the piece demands. So only a back street Mexican will do.
Old 25-08-08, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
Philidor, What's your favorite so far?
The SBYO (for obvious reasons ) but I'm a Mahler innocent and will be guided by wiser heads.
Old 20-10-08, 10:18 PM
Sir Héctor, American Hero

Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold

Gustav Mahler (Meeting with Sigmund Freud)

During the summer of 1910, when Freud was vacationing with his family on the North Sea in the Netherlands, Gustav Mahler, in a state of deep depression, decided to consult him. The neurologist Richard Nepallek, a relative of Alma Mahler, was the go-between. The composer's "maddening doubt" led him to put off the meeting on three successive occasions. August 26 was the last day it was possible to meet Freud, since he was getting ready to travel to Sicily together with Sándor Ferenczi. The meeting took place in a restaurant in Leyden. For four hours there took place a "psychoanalytic session," along the canals of the city where the two men walked. That summer of 1910 Mahler had experienced a personal drama: He feared his wife would leave him and became aware that his life had become that of a neurotic. In a letter to Theodor Reik, written in 1934, Freud noted Mahler's "brilliant faculty of comprehension." This unique psychoanalytic session allowed him to discover the musician's Marian complex (mother fixation), but "no light was shed on the symptomatic façade of his obsessive neurosis." Freud continued, "If I can believe what I have heard, I have done good work." Mahler, for his part, wrote in a telegram he sent to Alma the day after the meeting, "I'm filled with joy. Interesting conversation. . . ." He died May 18, 1911, nine months later.

Mahler and Freud

"In the spring of 1910, Gustav Mahler casually discovered that his brand-new wife Alma, with whom he was deeply in love, was succumbing to the insistence and flattery of the young architest Walter Gropius, future founder of Bauhaus. Intimately affected, the musician arranged an appointment with Sigmund Freud and visited the already celebrated psychoanalyst at his office. Freud dedicated to him a sole and intense session of four hours, at the end of which he dismissed him, comforted. On May 18, 1911, Mahler died. And it was more or less then when the psychoanalyst realized that he had not delivered an invoice. Without thinking twice, Freud wrote out a "Quittung", signed it, attached two fiscal stamps, dated it ("Vienna, October 24, 1911"), and sent it to the musician's heirs, that is, to Alma, with the specification "for medical services rendered". And that invoice is precisely one of the lots which will be auctioned at Christie's in Paris on July 5, for an estimated price between 4,000 and 6,000 euros."
Old 21-10-08, 01:03 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

I wonder if Alma ever paid that. I'm sure Freud charged a lot, and for that be told that Mahler had a "mother fixation". Boy that really helped him.
Old 21-10-08, 04:12 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Mahler: Where Do I Stop?
Old 21-10-08, 04:56 PM

Mahler: The 12 step program.
Old 21-10-08, 07:13 PM
Sir Héctor, American Hero

Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold Héctor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
I wonder if Alma ever paid that.
Name:  maresfie.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  23.9 KB

She hated to Freud for that (La Grange)