Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music

Notices

Romantic Music Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, Wagner, Verdi, Franck, Bruckner, Smetana, Brahms, Saint-SaŽns...

Mahler: Where Do I Start?

Old 29-04-08, 03:11 PM

Aiantas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleide View Post
I'm currently writing an essay about Mahler's symphonies. I'll post it up when finished.
That will be really worth waiting for! Thanks!
FC
Old 29-04-08, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Drooling over Alma Mahler moved to here.
Old 30-04-08, 07:16 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Thank you for that post Aiantas! I have saved it and will definitely use it for reference.

Philidor, haven't seen Death In Venice. It "sounds" nice though.

(I did just watch the Barber of Seville).
Old 30-04-08, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
Thank you for that post Aiantas! I have saved it and will definitely use it for reference.

Philidor, haven't seen Death In Venice. It "sounds" nice though.
It's pretty disturbing but it is an extremely good film.
Old 30-04-08, 01:10 PM

Aiantas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 3rd.

Here's a bit of Mahler that'll please everyone! This is Flo's favorite Gustavo Dudamel conducting the recapitulation from the 1st mvt. of the 3rd. symphony. Haydnguy, you'll hear all that stuff I mentioned in the long post about the 3rd. Unison horns, the trombone solo the quirky woodwind tunes and orchestral climaxes by the truckload!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUUFi0nhv3w"]Mahler 3rd reprise - Dudamel[/ame]
Old 30-04-08, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiantas View Post
Here's a bit of Mahler that'll please everyone! This is Flo's favorite Gustavo Dudamel conducting the recapitulation from the 1st mvt. of the 3rd. symphony.
You're a darling. It's not just the Dude, though. They are a brilliant orchestra and they seem to swap around so everyone gets a bit of the limelight.
Old 01-05-08, 01:15 AM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Thanks for that great clip. I'll be returning to this thread from time to time to let you know how I like certain things and maybe a question or two. BTW, as a curiosity I checked Fanfare and they have the CD below in their "Hall of Fame" for #3. I realize these are subjective things....

Old 01-05-08, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Oh, that reminds me - I want to try to get tickets for the SBYO performance of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring at the South Bank next April. It's that or Bartok

Actually, if you're going to subject yourself to Bartok, the SBYO are probably the best way to do it.
Old 01-05-08, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Yay! I've done it. Two tickets for the Rite of Spring. I was only just in time.
Old 01-05-08, 07:18 PM
Brightcecilian

Herodotas will become famous soon enough Herodotas will become famous soon enough
Default Mahler

I don't understand why nobody appears to have mentioned the First -it was my first love and i still find it very attractive and accessible.