Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Renaissance Music

Notices

Renaissance Music Palestrina, Tallis, Byrd, Fayrfax, Taverner, King Henry VIII, Johannes de Limburgia, Jheronimus Vinders, Claudio Pari, Jean l'Héritier...

Help me identify this melody?

Old 06-12-09, 10:50 AM

le_sacre is on a distinguished road
Question Help me identify this melody?

I've got this stuck in my head today and can't figure out where it's from. Can anybody identify?

My hunch was that it was Palestrina or Victoria, and I feel like it's a quite well-known piece, but I've been scrounging through my listening library and can't find it. Maybe it's from a different period entirely, but in my memory it's definitely sung by sopranos in a melismatic style (I think on the syllable "i"--as if that really helps). Unfortunately, I can't remember the counterpoint beneath it, nor any other section of the piece.

Anybody? Thanks!
Old 06-12-09, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Ha! You've an [ame="http://www.brightcecilia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1915"]earworm[/ame]. I've got it now....

Sorry, don't know it. Welcome btw!
Old 06-12-09, 02:11 PM
Please, call me Josh :)

marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all

Hmmm, neither Mutopia nor Musipedia have anything.
Old 06-12-09, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

We should have more threads like this.

I don't know, and sadly there isn't a classical music version of Shazam (the mobile phone music identification service) so it's no use playing it into a smartphone.

I was going to say something about that the other day. My friends at work tried it. Shazam identified a Deep Purple track after about 8 bars (no, it wasn't Smoke on the Water!) but could not make anything at all of Air on a G String. Shameful.

I was hoping it would come up with A Whiter Shade of Pale, but I was disappointed.

There is definitely an opening in the market for some code boffins there. Marquis? You would need access to a phenomenally huge music sample library, though.
Old 06-12-09, 11:05 PM

Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of Scott Good has much to be proud of

The closest I can come is the Fugue subject from WTC I - D#min. But it only loosely follows this melody.

A very beautiful fugue btw. It wouldn't surprise me if this fugue was inspired by the work for which you are looking, especially if it is Palestrina. Bach used a huge variety of source materials for his WTC collections.

He is the original post-modernist! (Flo cringes)
Old 06-12-09, 11:35 PM

marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
There is definitely an opening in the market for some code boffins there. Marquis? You would need access to a phenomenally huge music sample library, though.
See, the best part of doing something like that is that you open it up as a game for the first six months, and make other people "playing" do your dirty work. "Can you fool the computer? Ooops, you did, what was that?"

And Hmm, maybe that would be an interesting thesis capstone project...
Old 07-12-09, 06:47 AM

le_sacre is on a distinguished road

Turns out there's a whole sub-forum devoted to quests like this: http://www.talkclassical.com/identifying-music/. I got hooked on it last night and spent way too much time tracking down a piano concerto that someone had heard as background music on CSPAN! But the downside is a distressing number of people asking for help with a "classical song" that is neither classical nor a song. Sometimes we take for granted what our ears tell us when we've been training them for so long.

Argh, this is still bugging me. I can hear the fragment so clearly in my head that while searching through my library I can even tell by the timbre of the choir whether it might be a match, but every time I try to "continue" on with it in my memory nothing comes. And still no luck in the searching. I think this fragment must be a mere blip that's not very representative of the whole piece.

I wonder actually whether there's a big database somewhere of midi files of renaissance music?
Old 07-12-09, 02:40 PM

DJ Fatuus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sacre View Post
Turns out there's a whole sub-forum devoted to quests like this: http://www.talkclassical.com/identifying-music/.
He posted it there first
Old 07-12-09, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sacre View Post
I wonder actually whether there's a big database somewhere of midi files of renaissance music?
*Specifically* Renaissance? No. But Mutopia and Musipedia both have fairly extensive "classical" lists.
Old 07-12-09, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fatuus View Post
He posted it there first
Oh no he didn't.

Name:  sacre.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  sacre-1.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  32.6 KB