Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Modern Music

Notices

Modern Music Debussy, Elgar, Cage, Stockhausen, Glass, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Webern, Finzi, Shostakovich, Elliott Carter, Messiaen, Lutoslawski...

Five contemporary orchestra pieces you have to know

Old 06-12-09, 11:32 PM

Zeitschichten is on a distinguished road
Default Five contemporary orchestra pieces you have to know

A post from zeitschichten.com

You all know that I am a big fan of lists. Today I am sharing with you five of my most favorite orchestra pieces. Let me know how your list would look like!

1. Luciano Berio: Sinfonia
Wikipedia | Amazon | iTunes
2. Karlheinz Stockhausen: Gruppen
Wikipedia | Amazon
3. Iannis Xenakis: Metastasis
4. Georg Friedrich Haas: In Vain
Wikipedia | Amazon
5. György Ligeti: Atmospheres
Old 07-12-09, 01:22 AM

some guy is a jewel in the rough some guy is a jewel in the rough some guy is a jewel in the rough

None of you know that I am not a big fan of lists.* But sometimes I just can't resist.

*OK, now you do.

Gráinne Mulvey, Akanos
Helmut Lachenmann, Harmonica
Edgard Varčse, Arcana*
Morton Feldman, Flute and Orchestra
John Cage, Atlas Eclipticalis*

*not strictly speaking contemporary, but fortunately, the op established this precedent.
Old 07-12-09, 03:02 PM

Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of

George Crumb - A Haunted Landscape
Crumb is famous for chamber works like Black Angels, but fans should hear this nightmarish symphonic work.

Charles Wuorinen - Percussion Symphony
No other work has demonstrated a composer's command of percussion on such a grand scale.

Barbara Kolb - Millefoglie
This is for electronics and chamber orchestra, a stunningly assured exploration into the poetry of sound.

Gloria Coates - Symphony #14 (Symphony in Microtones)
You either love Coates or you hate her. Personally, I can't get enough of her. I think this symphony shows her glacial glissandi at their most forbidding.

Earle Brown - Available Forms II
One of the pioneering works of open form composition, it's for 98 instruments and two conductors.

Roger Reynolds - Transfigured Wind II
Reynolds is one of the greatest composers you've never heard. He won the Pulitzer for Whispers out of Time for string orchestra, but I prefer this fascinating work of Reynolds for flute and orchestra.

Tristan Murail - Gondwana
This work is Spectralism in a nutshell: mystical and kaleidoscopic.
Old 07-12-09, 04:45 PM

Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold Mischa is a splendid one to behold

Jörg Widmann: Implosion

György Ligeti: Lontano

Luciano Berio: Sinfonia

Giacinto Scelsi: Uaxuctum

Krzysztof Penderecki: Anaklasis
Old 07-12-09, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all Florestan is a name known to all

Sheesh! What is it with guys and lists?!
Old 07-12-09, 08:03 PM

Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of Balthazar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
Sheesh! What is it with guys and lists?!
You just made my list.

Old 07-12-09, 11:03 PM

le_sacre is on a distinguished road

how contemporary are we talking? i'm rather reverent of the Schoenberg 5 pieces for orchestra, opus 16.

of more recent works, the Ligeti violin concerto can be pretty devastating. i also like Edgar Meyer's stuff like his violin concerto (winningly played by Hilary Hahn with the SPCO), and icelander Karin Rehnqvist's "Solsĺngen."
Old 16-12-09, 11:50 AM
Brightcecilian

martinesco is on a distinguished road
Default contemporary orchestral list

I'm taking this invitation to relate to post-WW2 for convenience's sake - in no particular chronological or other order:
B.A. Zimmermann: Photoptosis
Helmut Lachenmann: Concertini
Peter Maxwell Davies: 2nd Fantasia on John Taverner's In Nomine
Henri Dutilleux: Métaboles
György Kurtág: Stele

Of course, another morning I would choose five different works - and my knowledge of contemporary orchestral works is by no means exhaustive.
Old 23-12-09, 04:21 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Tristan Murail - Gondwana
This work is Spectralism in a nutshell: mystical and kaleidoscopic.
Yay, a convert!

I'll second that (though Murail's Désintégrations is almost, if not as good - Gondwana is perhaps only more impressive since it doesn't use electronics) and add in no particular order:

Boulez - Notations VII

Carter - Concerto for Orchestra

Ligeti - Lontano

Birtwistle - Panic
Old 23-12-09, 05:17 PM

Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice Stlukesguild is just really nice

William Bolcom- William Blake's "Songs of Innocence and of Experience"

Osvaldo Golijov- Oceana

Henryk Górecki- Symphony no. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"

John Adams- Harmonium

Daniel Catan- Rappaccini's Daughter

Given another day and I might have chosen

Philip Glass- Einstein on the Beach

James MacMillian- Seven Last Words from the Cross

Toru Takemitsu- A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden

Arvo Pärt- Te Deum

Einojuhani Rautavaara- Symphony no. 7 "Angel of Light"
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein