Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > It's not classical music but we like it > Totally Off-Topic

Notices

Totally Off-Topic If it's not classical music, that's fine. Discuss anything you like in Brightcecilia's lively general forum

Amazonfail: don't buy from Amazon this Christmas

Old 17-12-09, 11:47 PM

Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of Herzeleide has much to be proud of

Old 18-12-09, 04:37 PM

Mirror Image will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Good View Post
yes, as Noam Chomsky put it, slave labour is very good for prices and the economy.
They're not slaves, Scott. These people can quit their jobs if they don't like it. Is it right the way they're being treated by their employer? Absolutely not, but what are YOU going to do about it? Absolutely nothing just like everybody that comes to this thread complaining about this problem is going do, including Philidor (the originator of this thread).

We live in a society of big talkers, not action takers. When somebody says they're going to do something, they usually don't do it. The bottomline: you're not going to do anything about this and neither is anyone else.

That said, I'm grateful for Amazon, but given my own situation, I have no other alternative, but to buy from them.
Old 18-12-09, 06:43 PM

periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold periodinstrumentfan is a splendid one to behold

But buying nothing is already something is it not ?
Exposing these things is already something is it not ?

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...72_5894502.jpg
Old 18-12-09, 06:52 PM

DJ Fatuus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Image View Post
They're not slaves, Scott. These people can quit their jobs if they don't like it. Is it right the way they're being treated by their employer? Absolutely not, but what are YOU going to do about it? Absolutely nothing just like everybody that comes to this thread complaining about this problem is going do, including Philidor (the originator of this thread).

We live in a society of big talkers, not action takers. When somebody says they're going to do something, they usually don't do it. The bottomline: you're not going to do anything about this and neither is anyone else.

That said, I'm grateful for Amazon, but given my own situation, I have no other alternative, but to buy from them.
Interestingly, I would guess that spreading the word and threatening not to buy from them would have more of an effect than just switching supplier. Public image is (or should be) worth more to a company than individual customers.

Of course, that still leaves the question of whether or not you WANT them to change, or if you are happy to to profit from the current situation. I make no attempt to point fingers but one has to accept that humans find it very easy to justify to themselves, profiting from the distress of someone they never meet. We need to decide if we want to overcome this characteristic, or just accept it.
Old 19-12-09, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fatuus View Post
Interestingly, I would guess that spreading the word and threatening not to buy from them would have more of an effect than just switching supplier. Public image is (or should be) worth more to a company than individual customers.

Of course, that still leaves the question of whether or not you WANT them to change, or if you are happy to to profit from the current situation. I make no attempt to point fingers but one has to accept that humans find it very easy to justify to themselves, profiting from the distress of someone they never meet. We need to decide if we want to overcome this characteristic, or just accept it.
How touching, does that bullshit you're serving come with fries?

What's this "we" crap you're mouthing off about? If you don't like what's happening with Amazon, then email them. Quit bitching about it and do something about it. If you're not going to do anything, then close your mouth.
Old 19-12-09, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of Philidor has much to be proud of

Quote:

What's this "we" crap you're mouthing off about? If you don't like what's happening with Amazon, then email them. Quit bitching about it and do something about it. If you're not going to do anything, then close your mouth.
Hey MI, you know I love you to bits but that's a bit strong. People must be allowed to discuss these things without being told to shut their traps.
Old 19-12-09, 12:11 PM

DJ Fatuus is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You must be reading my post with the frame of mind that I'm attacking you! I'm really not. Just re-read it.

And the "we"s can be replaced with "one"s (as I already did in the post to sound less accusing).
Old 19-12-09, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fatuus View Post
You must be reading my post with the frame of mind that I'm attacking you! I'm really not. Just re-read it.

And the "we"s can be replaced with "one"s (as I already did in the post to sound less accusing).
The topic of Amazon treating their workers like crap isn't a topic most people really care about. If I can get killer deals on Amazon, then I could careless what their workers have to go through.

This whole thread is nothing but one giant rant about nothing. Get over it people! You can't stop Amazon and coming to BrightCecilia to complain about it isn't going to do anything anyway.

My question to you people who are complaining: when does the crying stop?

The bottom line is simple: none of you are going to do anything about this because none of you want to do anything about this. Like everybody else, you just want to complain about it.
Old 19-12-09, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor View Post
Hey MI, you know I love you to bits but that's a bit strong. People must be allowed to discuss these things without being told to shut their traps.
Yeah it is a bit strong, but I'm an American (of German ancestry), so excuse my very direct nature.
Old 19-12-09, 05:20 PM
Please, call me Josh :)

marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all marquis66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah it is a bit strong, but I'm an American (of German ancestry), so excuse my very direct nature.
Hey now, don't lump all of us Americans in with you. There is a such thing as civility, even on the internet.

Frankly, I think that BC is the place to have a discussion like this, because we are all consumers. You don't care about the workers? Fine. A lot of us do. If you don't want to have the discussion, don't participate in it. I find it pretty hypocritical for you to contribute, and then complain that other people contribute when they disagree with you.