Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums

Go Back   Brightcecilia Classical Music Forums > The Classical Music Auditorium > Romantic Music > Schubert Listening Group

Notices

Schubert Listening Group Click here to visit this social group & discuss any aspect of Schubert's music

DF-D's Male-Songs-Only Box

Old 08-01-12, 02:45 PM
Brightcecilian

virginia will become famous soon enough
Default DF-D's Male-Songs-Only Box

Not much activity here lately so here goes. Some of you will remember I was dithering about whether to buy the theme-based version or the chronology-based version of the Hyperion complete Schubert edition. I'm still dithering, mainly because I can't find the theme-based box at any kind of a discount. But there's an alternative that I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Amazon currently has for sale Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's box of songs composed for male voice -- all 21 glorious discs, 460-some songs -- in two iterations (links below). I'm assuming the audio content in these boxes is identical, and that the "only" thing missing is the booklet. Can anyone confirm that? I've got the Reed book of lieder so I'm not completely without resource if I go the cheap route.

Here's the original: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

And here's the cheaper one (presumably without the texts?): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks, folks. Hoping to hear more talk about Schubert here.
Old 21-02-12, 11:11 PM
Brightcecilian

Default Well, I Did It. Now, Organization?

Okay, I bought the male-voice-only edition of Schubert songs. Twenty-one discs, more than 470 songs, some 1,500 minutes of music, all for the rock-bottom price of about $43. Now, can anybody tell me how these songs are grouped? There is no clue either in the liner notes or in the pdf's that Deutsche Grammophon provides on their site. It could be chronologically, by some kind of theme that I haven't divined, or random. I've listened to disc 1 and will go through about one disc a week for the next, oh, five months or so.
Old 09-03-14, 01:41 PM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
Okay, I bought the male-voice-only edition of Schubert songs. Twenty-one discs, more than 470 songs, some 1,500 minutes of music, all for the rock-bottom price of about $43. Now, can anybody tell me how these songs are grouped? There is no clue either in the liner notes or in the pdf's that Deutsche Grammophon provides on their site. It could be chronologically, by some kind of theme that I haven't divined, or random. I've listened to disc 1 and will go through about one disc a week for the next, oh, five months or so.
I actually have that 1st box set but haven't listened to it much. I had most of the Schubert Lieder Graham Johnson set and spent some time on it and enjoyed it but realized the language barrier was a real hindrance and Schubert was not all I wanted to listen to. I ended up selling that series.

As recall, when the second box set came out the lack of the linear notes was the only difference. I am sorry that I didn't answer earlier as I had not seen this thread before now.
Old 09-03-14, 02:14 PM
Brightcecilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
I actually have that 1st box set but haven't listened to it much. I had most of the Schubert Lieder Graham Johnson set and spent some time on it and enjoyed it but realized the language barrier was a real hindrance and Schubert was not all I wanted to listen to. I ended up selling that series.

As recall, when the second box set came out the lack of the linear notes was the only difference. I am sorry that I didn't answer earlier as I had not seen this thread before now.
No problem, though I'm aghast at the "Schubert was not all I wanted to listen to" remark, . Let's resurrect the activity in this group, even if we have to do it ourselves.
Old 11-03-14, 05:52 PM

haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of haydnguy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
No problem, though I'm aghast at the "Schubert was not all I wanted to listen to" remark, . Let's resurrect the activity in this group, even if we have to do it ourselves.
That sounds good! BTW, I have the Reed book as well. I guess we can go through the set with one disk a week. When would you like to start? (What day of week?) I will look in the linear booklet and see if it says how they are grouped.

It's great to get this going again!
Old 12-03-14, 10:56 AM
Brightcecilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnguy View Post
That sounds good! BTW, I have the Reed book as well. I guess we can go through the set with one disk a week. When would you like to start? (What day of week?) I will look in the linear booklet and see if it says how they are grouped.

It's great to get this going again!
Smooth turning of tables there! I listen to music only on my commute, about 20 minutes each way. And, as much as I'd like to take notes while doing it -- and filter what I hear through the Reed book in real time -- I really don't think I can multitask that well. Ad hoc discussion points about Schubert, now that's something I can manage.
Old 15-03-14, 03:19 AM

I have looked through the books and am not sure how the songs are arranged. They look like they are "roughly" arranged from earliest to later but there are some huge jumps in some of the song numbers so I'm not exactly sure.

I noticed that you said that you have already listened to Disc 1. I will start there a glean what I can. I will post back here after I've listened and read up on Disc 1.
Old 16-03-14, 02:56 AM

Listening to this. I forgot to mention earlier that I know I have a number of Schubert CD's that I can't remember at the moment. My wife and I are preparing to sell our house and my CD's are packed in containers. It was by sheer luck that the D-F-D boxed set was sitting at the top in one of the containers.

One thing that I remember reading about Schubert was that he always had a desire to write opera but never could for some reason. I read into it that he had some kind of "writer's block" when it came to that.

Old 17-03-14, 07:32 AM

virginia, I have a question for you. I have just started listening to the first CD (Eine Leichenphantasie) D7.

My question is, what is the best way to go about listening and reading about each piece. (I am assuming you don't know German.) This is kind of what I ran into before.

I know you said you listened on your commute. Before, I found it better for me to read about each piece before I listened to it so I knew a little of what I am listening to. If you have a better sequence, I would appreciate knowing.
Old 18-03-14, 10:55 AM
Brightcecilian

For no particular reason, I go the other way. I listen, then read. Your way makes more sense.

I'm of an age where I can consider retirement. My plan is to set up a hammock and listen to this set from disc 1 while reading about the songs in Reed. A person's got to have goals, right?